The U.S. government agencies define an active assailant as, “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area.” In an Active Assailant event, businesses are at risk of loss financially and from a human capital perspective. Consider these questions when purchasing this coverage:
- How will you pay for the costs that come with employee or business visitors’ injury or death?
- How will this event effect your employees? Will they be able to perform their jobs to the best of their ability, or will they be too unstable to perform their jobs at all?
- Would your business be able to survive a shut down and the loss of income that comes with an Active Assailant event?
- How would this affect the business’s reputation?
- Can you pay for the unexpected additional design and increased security costs that will prevent potential future events?
- Does your business have the tools to handle ensuing litigation?
What Active Assailant coverage includes:
- Third Party Liability
- Medical Expenses, counseling, funeral costs
- Death and disability benefits
- First Party Property Damage
- Business Income
- Pre and post loss advice from Crisis Management Experts
- Employee Retraining and Recruitment
- Demolition and rebuilding
- Event cancellation
- Off-site coverage is available (building must be scheduled on policy).
A few extra key things to know about Active Assailant coverage:
- It is relatively inexpensive.
- Not necessary but will provide certainty for the business.
- It is measured by business income limits. The larger the business income is, the larger the premium will be.
Overall, active assailant coverage is highly recommended given the tremendous losses businesses face after an event. There are many ways the business can be affected, whether it be property damage or bodily injury to employees or visitors. Having active assailant coverage will relieve any uncertainty if an event were to occur and help the business recover after.
Unfortunately, the threat of an Active Assailant event is a reality today. Have you explored an Active Assailant Policy to protect against these risks? Can you afford not to?
Note: This communication is for informational purposes only. Although every reasonable effort is made to present current and accurate information, Oswald makes no guarantees of any kind and cannot be held liable for any outdated or incorrect information. View our communications policy.